It’s been almost a month since I have written anything. Well……at least one thing I can say, this “30 day blog challenge” may go into the record books for the longest 30 day blog challenge EVER. LOL! So I guess we will get right to it…..
*These are in no particular order;
- Halloween; THIS ONE HAS TO BE THE ORIGINAL! You can not just jump into the most recent and expect to appreciate the wonders of where it evolved from. There is no one that can terrify me to the very depths of my soul like Michael Myers. NO ONE! The more recent remakes by the brilliance of Rob Zombie are also great but you have to start at the actual beginning to appreciate the journey.
- Texas Chainsaw Massacre; This is another that HAS TO BE THE ORIGINAL! These are classics from when “horror” really started. Rumor has it, it’s a true story and it is, but it is a compilation of several real life serial killers rolled into one. But even as a little kid, just the thought that this could have been remotely true story shook my soul.
- Amittyville Horror; This again, HAS TO BE THE ORIGINAL! You cannot appreciate where you are if you don’t know where you have come from. The original was SUPER hyped up, and half of it isn’t even true, but the possibility that it “could” be true is enough to keep anyone awake at night wondering.
- The Shining; If there is ever a remake, it will always be the original for me (obviously). Not even the series from 1997 can do the movie justice. No one breathing on this planet can replicate Jack Nicholson yelling, “Heeeeerrs’s Johnny!!” wielding a butcher knife, breaking down the bathroom door. The fear that that one scene had on me made the entire movie worth watching. Wendy Torrance (Shelley Duvall) trapped, only seconds away from being murdered, by the man she trusts, makes my skin crawl. The way he snapped scares the hell out of me, and I don’t think you need any convincing that this is a VERY real reality of the world.
- Split; Directed by one of my absolute favorites besides Rob Zombie; M. Night Shyamalan. I love all of his movies because they provoke deep thinking, hidden messages and puzzling story lines. This movie will have you questioning your own sanity, and the sanity of those around you within the first few minutes of the opening credits. Right when you think you have it all figured out…..you don’t. The main character James McAvoy, hailing out of Scotland, is BRILLIANT! I literally was yelling throughout the movie….”IF THIS GUY DOESN’T WIN EVERY DAMN AWARD EVER KNOWN TO MAN FOR THIS ROLL, I WILL FREAK OUT! WAIT, REWIND THAT!!” I am a SUPER picky person when it comes to horror movies and the acting in them. I love me some “B” movies but when it comes from someone with the credits and resume of M. Night Shyamalan the standards are EXTREMELY high, and I totally expect them to be met. They were. The real question here is, how in the hell is Shyamalan going to beat this? Is that even possible……………………………………………